Harris County Logo
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 21-4893    Version: 1 Name:
Type: Contract - Amendment Status: Agenda Ready
File created: 9/7/2021 In control: Commissioners Court
On agenda: 9/14/2021 Final action:
Title: Request by the Office of County Administration for approval of an amendment to the contracts with BakerRipley in the additional amount of $21.4M and Catholic Charities in the additional amount of $21M for the Houston-Harris County Emergency Rental Assistance Program.
Date Ver.Action ByActionResultAction DetailsMeeting DetailsVideo
No records to display.

Department: County Administration

 

Department Head/Elected Official: David Berry, County Administrator

 

Regular or Supplemental RCA:

Regular RCA

Supplemental RCA

 

Type of Request: Contract - Amendment

 

Project ID (if applicable): pending

Vendor/Entity Legal Name (if applicable): BakerRipley; Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston

MWDBE Participation (if applicable): N/A

 

Request Summary (Agenda Caption):

title

Request by the Office of County Administration for approval of an amendment to the contracts with BakerRipley in the additional amount of $21.4M and Catholic Charities in the additional amount of $21M for the Houston-Harris County Emergency Rental Assistance Program.

end

 

Background and Discussion:

In January 2021, the U.S. Treasury Department established the Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program to provide funding to state and local governments to assist eligible renter households impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, funded via the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021.  Commissioners Court established the 2021 Houston-Harris County Emergency Rental Assistance Program on February 9, 2021, in collaboration with the City of Houston. The program administrators are BakerRipley, Catholic Charities, and the Alliance. 

 

Additional funding was allocated to the ERA program via the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA), and subsequently allocated to state and local governments. Harris County received the first 40% of allocated funding in May and received the remaining 60% in early September. 

 

Expected Impact:

The contract amendments will provide an additional $40M in rental assistance to continue to support eligible Harris County tenants experiencing housing insecurity due to COVID-19. The amendments also include $1.4M for BakerRipley for application processing and payment, technology, and recoupment processing, and $1M for Catholic Charities for application processing and payment. Funding for this amendment will be fully provided by the U.S. Dept. of the Treasury ARPA ERA2 Funds.

 

Alternative Options: N/A

 

 

 

Alignment with Goal(s):

Justice and Safety

Economic Opportunity

Housing

Public Health

 

 

Transportation

Flooding

Environment

Governance and Customer Service

Prior Court Action (if any):

2/9/21 [Item #250], Program Approval and Contract Award to BakerRipley and Catholic Charities

3/9/21 [Item #2], Approval of ERAP Navigator Agency Contracts

5/25/21 [Item #6], Amendment of BakerRipley ERA1 Contract

6/8/21 [Item #8], Approval of ERA2 Contracts with BakerRipley and Catholic Charities

6/8/21 [Item #9], Approval of ERA2 Contract with The Alliance

 

Location:

Address (if applicable list below):

 

 

Countywide

Precinct 1

Precinct 2

 

Precinct 3

Precinct 4

Fiscal and Personnel Summary

Service Name

2021 Emergency Rental Assistance

FY 21-22

Estimates

 

 

 

FY 22

Next 3 FYs

Incremental Expenditures

Labor Expenditures

-

-

-

Non-Labor Expenditures

42413.5K

-

-

Total Incremental Expenditures

42413.5K

-

-

Funding Sources (General Fund, PIC Fund, Debt or CP, Grants, or Other - Please Specify)

Existing Budget

Other-ARPA ERA2

42413.5K

-

-

 

-

-

-

-

 

-

-

-

-

Total Current Budget

42413.5K

-

-

Additional Budget Requested

-

-

-

-

 

-

-

-

-

 

-

-

-

-

Total Additional Budget Requested

-

-

-

Total Funding Sources

42413.5K

-

-

Personnel (Fill out section only if requesting new PCNs)

Current Position Count for Service

-

-

-

Additional Positions Requested

-

-

-

Total Personnel

-

-

-

 

Anticipated Implementation Date: September 14, 2021

 

Emergency/Disaster Recovery Note:

Not an emergency, disaster recovery, or COVID-19 related item

 

Emergency Item

COVID-19 related Item

Disaster Recovery related Item

 

Contact(s) name, title, department:

Leah Barton, Managing Director, Office of County Administration

Janet Gonzalez, Sr. Manager, Office of Management and Budget

 

Attachments (if applicable):

Contract amendments to follow